Summer Study Abroad in La Coruña, Spain
Dedicate the summer to learning Spanish! Study abroad with us in the beautiful beach city of La Coruña, Spain! If your goal is to greatly improve your Spanish in a short period of time, our summer Spanish immersion in Spain program is the right fit for you.
Our Summer study abroad Spain program offers a unique opportunity to live in the beautiful beach town of A Coruña. You will be fully immersed in the Spanish language and culture living and interacting with Spanish speakers daily. You have the option to study Spanish for academic credit, complete an internship at a Spanish organization in your field of study, or do both during a 5 or 10 week stay! We recommend this program for students who want to improve their Spanish quickly while experiencing authentic Spain. This program is open to beginners through advanced Spanish speakers.
Why La Coruña? La Coruña is a breathtaking coastal city in the lush region of Galicia offering beautiful beaches, delicious tapas bars, fresh seafood, and lively nightlife! It’s also one of the best cities in Spain to learn Spanish as it allows for complete immersion in the Spanish language. Beyond our group, it’s very unlikely that you’ll run into other English speakers. In more popular Spanish destinations, there are many English speakers which can make learning Spanish more difficult. Of course, you may still easily visit Barcelona, Madrid and other popular destinations around Europe on a budget during your free weekends by flight, bus or train. If you’re looking for the best place to improve your Spanish while enjoying Spanish life on a student budget, La Coruña is the city to choose!
Program Dates & Fees
This summer Spanish immersion in Spain study abroad program is designed for beginner through advanced students of Spanish. You may choose to study Spanish for 5 or 10 weeks. Those students who have at least B1 level (intermediate) Spanish, also have the option to apply for our study Spanish and intern program.
Program Fee: $4,195* (5 weeks) or $7,495* (10 weeks)
Program Dates: We run two back to back 5 week long sessions. You may enroll in one or both sessions for a 5 or 10 week total stay.
Apply by April 15, 2021
- Session 1: June 13-July 17, 2021*
- Session 2: July 18-August 21, 2021*
- 10 week stay: June 13-August 21, 2021*
Program Format Options:
- Enroll in session 1 or 2 for a 5 week stay. Take two Spanish courses each worth 3 credits. Total units: 6 semester credits.
- Enroll in Session 1 and 2 for a 10 week stay. Take two Spanish courses during the first session and another two Spanish courses during the second session. Total units: 12 semester credits.
Note: Program dates are subject to change. Do not purchase your airline tickets until you have been formally accepted into the program and program dates have been confirmed. *Upon request you may arrive early or depart late according to availability.* Price is also subject to change based on currency fluctuations.
- Spanish (all levels – from beginner through upper division)
- Internship course (a wide variety of fields available – must have at least lower intermediate Spanish skills)
- Professional Business Spanish (learn how to conduct yourself in a professional manner in Spanish.)
- Spanish Conversation (focused on improving conversational fluency.)
Program Fee Includes
- Tuition & transcripts from UDC (6-12 semester credits/units, 9-18 quarter units, or 6-24 ECTS depending on Program Option chosen)
- Housing with Spanish speakers
- International medical & accident insurance
- Day trip excursions (e.g. Santiago de Compostela, Islas Cies, etc.)
- Cultural Activities
- 24/7 local emergency contact
- Local Program Director support
- Welcome Orientation
- Pre-departure support & travel tips
- Certificate of course and/or internship completion
Program Fee Does Not Include
- Transportation to/from class/internship bus fare info here
- Transportation to/from the airport (may take taxi or bus)
- Application Fee (non-refundable)
- Meals (Meal Plan may be purchased separately)
- (Optional) Extended Stay: You may prolong your stay by arriving early or staying longer for an additional fee.
- (Optional) Travel & Trip-Cancellation insurance
- (Optional) Add-on weekend trips
- Age: 18+ (Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis. Please email info@LinguisticHorizons.com if you are under 18.)
- You must have a valid passport for at least 3 months beyond the planned period of stay to travel to Spain. You also must have a return airline ticket. United States Citizens do not require a visa for stays of less than 90 days. For more important details visit: Spain and Andorra Country Specific Information. It is the responsibility of participants to obtain the correct travel documents.
- Must complete the application process below.
- Airfare: Participants are responsible for making their own flight arrangements. Student fares are available here. We recommend you plan to arrive 2 days before the program start date to allow time to settle in and adjust to the time change. Note: In the unlikely event the program is cancelled, Linguistic Horizons does not accept responsibility for any airfare cancellation fees incurred.
- *For U.S. Citizens: If you do not have a valid passport already, you must apply for one or renew your old U.S. Passport. This can take up to 3 months for processing and delivery; although, for an additional fee you can request an expedited passport. More info here.
- *For citizens of other countries, you should check with your local Spanish Consulate if you are required to obtain a visa.
The application process, as described here, must be completed by the application deadline.
- Within 1 week of acceptance into the program, you will be asked to sign our terms and conditions outlining our agreement with you. If you need extra time to decide, please let us know.
- To guarantee your place in the program, you must submit a $500 deposit. This deposit is refundable only as described in our terms and conditions. The due date will be specified in your applicant portal. Note: This deposit is not an extra fee, it will be deducted from your total Program Fee. This deposit is not refundable except under extreme circumstances.
Program Fee Payments & Supporting Documents
After the deposit has been received, a new section titled “Participant Supporting Documents” will appear to be completed. We will also ask that you choose a program fee plan. Several options are outlined below. Keep in mind that the total program fee is due in full by April 1, 2020 unless alternative payment plan arrangements have been requested and approved.
Program Fee Payment Plan Options
Please click here for methods of payment. We are happy to work with you to design a payment plan that works for you. Here are some pre-designed options.
Option 1: Pay the Program Fee in full upon acceptance into the program.
Option 2: Choose to make equal monthly, biweekly or weekly Program Fee Payments. With the final payment due April 1.
Option 3: Make three equal monthly payments towards the program fee due February 1, March 1 and April 1
Option 4: Email us firstname.lastname@example.org and propose a customized alternative payment plan that works for your budget.
Determining Your Language Level
Linguistic Horizons will determine your language level in three phases. First, we will consider any coursework you’ve completed to date. Next, we will consider your DIALANG test results. The DIALANG test will indicate your level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Finally, we will schedule a Skype interview to assess your conversation skills.