Semester Study Abroad in Spain
Study Abroad in Spain with Linguistic Horizons during the academic year for a semester or full academic year.
“Overall Linguistic Horizons is a stellar program that is successful in incorporating language use, cultural activities and fun! I left the program near fluent in Spanish, and truly became felt I was apart of the community in Coruña. I would recommend it to everyone, and am thinking about going back myself!”
– Ecco Driscoll, Western Washington Univeristy
Study abroad in Spain! This program offers participants the opportunity to substantially improve their Spanish while studying abroad in “off the beaten path” La Coruña, Spain. Choose from a variety of subjects and study alongside Spanish students at the Universidade Da Coruña, in La Coruña, Spain during the academic year.
The majority of courses are taught in the Spanish language. We encourage our students to enroll in these courses for the best results in Spanish language improvement. Some courses are also taught in English for those who do not feel comfortable studying in Spanish.
To help prepare students for the semester in Spain, Spanish courses are available at the beginning of each semester. For those who prefer to focus on studying Spanish prior to beginning the fall semester, we offer Spanish language classes during the summer for all levels.
Additionally, students with at least B1 level, intermediate, Spanish may opt to add an internship to complement their study abroad experience.
Former student, Ecco shares her experience in Spain!
Program Dates, Deadlines & Fees
- Spring Semester 2023: January 28-June 8, 2023* – Application deadline: October 1, 2022
- Fall Semester 2023: September 2023-January 2024 Application deadline: May 1, 2023
- Academic Year 2023/2024: September 2023 -June 2024* – Application deadline: May 1, 2023
- Spring Semester 2024: January 2023-June 2024* – Application deadline: September 1, 2023
*Option to extend until July 15 which allows for a second chance to take final exams if you don’t pass the first time.~*
Program Fee: $11,950* (semester abroad) or $19,995* (academic year abroad)
*Pricing subject to change due to foreign currency fluctuations.
- Tuition (Courses available in a variety of fields)
- Intensive Spanish language courses (Beginner to Upper-Intermediate)
- Internship Placement (Optional)
- Advising Services
- Housing in the city center with Spanish speakers
- International Health & Accident Insurance
- Transcripts from the Universidade Da Coruña
- Assistance with navigating the procedure for requesting transferable credits at your home institution.
- 24/7 local emergency contact.
- Cultural Activities (e.g. Welcome Spanish dinner, tapas tours, Galician queimada ceremony, etc.)
- Day trip excursions (e.g. Santiago de Compostela, Islas Cies, Galician Villages, etc.)
- $95 Application fee (Non-refundable)
- Visa Fees – check with the nearest Spanish Consulate for details
- Spending money
- Bus fares
- Extra excursions & activities (may be purchased separately)
- Meals (Meal Plan for lunches on campus may be purchased separately)
- Transportation to & from airport
- Students must be at least 18 years old on the date of departure.
- Before semester begins, participants must test at a minimum Spanish language level of B1. If you test A2, you may still participate by first completing our Intensive Spanish language Program. Please click here to test your level.
- For US Citizens: You must hold a valid passport. If you do not have a valid passport already, you must apply for one or renew your old U.S. Passport. This generally takes 4-6 weeks for processing and delivery; although, for an additional fee you can request an expedited passport. More info here
- US Citizens must successfully obtain a Student visa from the Spanish Consulate responsible for handling visas for your state. Click here to find your corresponding Consulate. Each Consulate may have slightly different application procedures; as an example see the requirements from the Los Angeles Spanish Consulate.
Fields of Study
Courses are available in a wide variety of fields. Below, we have listed these fields. Those fields offering courses in English are indicated with an asterisk * symbol.
- Science: Biology*, Chemistry*
- Health Sciences: Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy*, Podiatry, Speech Therapy*
- Social Sciences and Legal Studies: Audiovisual Communication, Business Studies*, Business Administration*, Early Childhood Education*, Economics*, Industrial Relations and Human Resources, Law*, Primary Education*, Social Education, Sociology, Sports Science and Physical Activity, Tourism
- Engineering & Architecture: Automation & Industrial Electronics Engineering, Architecture*, Civil Engineering Technology*, Computer Engineering*, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Technology Engineering, Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Nautical Engineering and Maritime Transport*, Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering, Public Works Engineering, Technical Architecture, Engineering in Industrial Design and Product Development
- Arts and Humanities: English Studies: Language & Literature*, Galician & Portuguese Studies: Language & Literature, Humanities, Information & Documentation, Spanish Studies: Language and Literature
By the application deadline indicated above, please follow the application process described here.
1) Upon provisional acceptance, you must submit your first Program Fee payment of $2,000 to secure your spot. This payment will allow us to issue the official letter of acceptance you will need to apply for your student Visa at the Spanish Consulate.
2) Pay Program Fee Balance by July 1 for fall semester and academic year participants or by November 1 for spring participants. Payment Plans Available upon request.